Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Because Lemony Snicket Is A Wise, Wise Man

Oftentimes, when people are miserable, they will want to make other people miserable, too. But it never helps. -Lemony Snicket
I haven't actually read A Series of Unfortunate Events, except for half of The Reptile Room which I read in Powerbooks Rob during one particularly boring long break. But I have a friend who has a book with quotes in it, and he loves to send me some. And so I fell in love with the wisdom of Lemony Snicket.

Anyway, that quote above talks about what I've been thinking about lately--how some people just love to make others miserable. I can't say I'm not guilty of indulging in misery--as the person who knows me best says, I do have a habit of making myself out to be more miserable than anyone so I don't get blamed for something which is really partly--or maybe wholly--my fault. See, I'm a bad person sometimes.

Sure, I love to complain. It's always easier to write, or tell stories when you have something to complain about. But I know how misery feels, so on an average, give me a day or two--two weeks, tops--and I'll throw it away and we can live our lives normally again.

I did that once, just stacked 'em all little chunks of misery up. It ruined my relationship and made me a very, very insecure person. I had to reevaluate who I was trying to be, and who I really was. All because I couldn't let it go. So I've long since learned that it's an awful thing to pack your misery in a bag and drag it along for the rest of your life.

So let it go. Just toss it away. Give yourself and the people around you the break you all need.

Misery is like a dead rat--until you throw it away it will ruin the day for you and for everyone else within a 10 feet radius. They might end up moving away to avoid the awful odor, and who in the world wants to be left alone with a dead rat?

Nope, not me. That's for sure.

4 comments:

citybuoy said...

bloghopped. i hope u don't mind me giving my two cents.

a few cliches first: misery loves company. so true. hence the lemony snickett reference.

then there's the other one. it's a little long but i'll try to remember it. something about.. happiness when shared doubles. misery when shared is split in half. something like that. sorry, i suck at these things. i'm a big fan of ranting. i rant all the GD time. but there's a very fine line between ranting and wallowing in self-pity. i myself have crossed that line fifty mullion times.

so the point that i'm trying to make (and pardon me, i'm being very verbose) is that you're right. the best thing to do is just let go. toss it out like the dead rat it is.

Rz F said...

Thanks for dropping by. :D And no problem with being verbose, kaya nga tayo blogger eh. Haha. :)

Saw your blog, it's really nice. :D I'll be reading. :)

citybuoy said...

"And no problem with being verbose, kaya nga tayo blogger eh."

haha true true

Dien said...

Misery loves company. Cliche but, well, isn't it true most of the time? Interesting entry uli. Galing!

Btw, I have transferred to Tumblr na. Won't be updating Wordpress anymore.

- Dien

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis

labels are for posts, not for people

Copyscape

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape